Lent is a special time to serve the Lord by serving others. Rehobeth offers these opportunities for you to follow the example of Jesus by helping your neighbors.
Available mission opportunities include:
- Feed the Sherrills Ford-Terrell Fire and Rescue Department: Each Wednesday, we will provide lunch to our firefighters and paramedics. Sign up to provide an entrée purchased from a local restaurant, vegetable, salad, and/or dessert. Deliver food to the headquarters located on Slanting Bridge Road by 11:15 a.m.
- Write Easter Cards for Active-Duty Soldiers, VA Hospital, and Abernethy Laurels: As has been our custom, we will be sending Easter cards to active-duty soldiers in Kuwait, patients in the VA Hospital in Salisbury, and residents of Abernethy Laurels. Cards will be available for pick-up on Sunday, March 12, and are due back by Sunday, March 26, to allow ample time for mailing.
- Purchase Greeting Cards: We are collecting unsigned cards and envelopes for prisoners to send to their loved ones. Assorted birthday, Thinking of You, or blank cards suitable for a variety of ages are needed.
- Send Easter Cards to Our Homebound: Our homebound members love hearing from the congregation. Show them you are thinking of them by sending Easter cards!
- Donate Items to Sherrills Ford Elementary School: Sherrills Ford Elementary needs clothing (especially underwear and shorts or lightweight pants) in a variety of children’s sizes.
- Volunteer for First Thursday: Sign up to be one of many rotating cooks for our First Thursday suppers.
Lenten Bible Study: February 28 to April 4
This season of Lent, we will be participating in a weekly study that is based on the series Bishop Ken Carter is conducting for the Conference. Each week, Bishop Carter will put together a 500-word essay, which will be our guide. We will also be studying Dietrich Bonhoeffer’s “Life Together.” You can purchase the book from Amazon or read it online at Life Together.
Sessions will be held on Tuesday evenings in the fellowship hall of the Family Life Center beginning at 6:30 p.m.
Holy Week Schedule: April 2 to April 9
Rehobeth offers a series of special services and events as we follow Jesus’ journey to the cross and celebrate his triumph over sin and death. We trust that each of these services and events will bless you!
- Palm Sunday Service, April 2 at 10:00 AM: Join us as we celebrate the triumphal entry of Jesus into Jerusalem. Please note that there is only one service on this day at a special time.
- Maundy Thursday Service, April 6 at 7:00 PM: All are invited to the Maundy Thursday Service, in remembrance of Jesus’ Last Supper with his disciples.
- Good Friday (Tenebrae) Service, April 7 at 8:00 PM: On Good Friday, join us for Tenebrae (a “Service of Darkness”). The service features readings from the Bible describing the Passion of Christ and is characterized by the gradual extinguishing of lights and the stripping of the altar and pulpit. It is a powerful, deeply moving reminder of the suffering Jesus endured for our sake.
- Prayer Vigil, April 7-19: Immediately following the Tenebrae Service on Good Friday, we will hold a prayer vigil. During this time, members of the church will come to the sanctuary to pray. Our goal is to have someone in the sanctuary every hour until 7:00 a.m. on Easter Sunday. Please sign up for a time slot when the sign-up sheet is passed around during services leading up to Holy Week.
- Easter Sunday, April 9: Celebrate the empty tomb and Christ’s resurrection! Note that our services are held at special times today: “Sunrise” service at 7:00 AM in the cemetery and combined service at 10:00 AM in the sanctuary. Following the Sunrise service, join us for a time of fellowship and a light breakfast of pastries, coffee, and juice in the Family Life Center.